Casino già villa Barberini

Immagine - Casino già villa Barberini

 Anonymous (19th century)

Casino già villa Barberini: aggiunto al Manicomio. – [Roma : Stabilimento Tipografico Aureli e C., 1863]. - 1 stampa; 235 x 283 mm. - C. [318]

In: Le scienze e le arti sotto il pontificato di Pio IX [vol. II] / [Cacchiatelli P. e Cleter G.]. – 2° edizione. – Roma: Stabilimento Tipografico Aureli e C., 1863. - Indicazione dei curatori dall’epistola ai lettori. BPR N 4

The Roman Church played a continuous and fundamental role in the complex history of the structural and architectural transformations of the S. Maria della Pietà lunatic asylum. From Paul III (1468-1549) until the end of the 19 century, the popes were concerned about the improvement of the facilities housing the inmates, and over the centuries had alterations made to the hospital.
This book, written to celebrate the greatness of the sciences and the arts under the pontificate of Pope Pius IX (1846-1878), is bound in two volumes, and contains the single issues designed for periodical publication, once or twice a month, with the sheets having progressive numbering; each issue contains two copper engravings.
Much of the second volume is dedicated to the charitable institutions and hospitals of Rome. In particular, one of the parts, consisting of four sheets, describes and illustrates the works planned and implemented under the pontificate of Pius IX to modernize the old buildings of the asylum as well as the newer portions of the facilities.

At the end of the century, under Pius IX, the Barberini pavilion was purchased and converted into a residence for the more wealthy class of asylum inmates, whose families paid an annual fee of 50 scudi; a route connecting the pavilion and the asylum itself was opened through the Sangallo Arch, the gateway to the Leonine City.
The new residence for lunatics consisted of the ground floor and two upper floors, each subdivided into ten rooms opening onto the service corridor, alternating with rooms for the warders and some stopping points. In the converted pavilion, some rooms were used for leisure and recreation, while inmates could stroll among gardens, hedgerows and fountains, with a view ranging from the Alban Hills to the sea.

XHTML 1.0 Valido!